Department of Communication
The world needs skilled communicators who can cut through the cluttered media landscape, be heard, and set new ideas in motion. At Columbus State University, you’ll be part of an interdisciplinary communication program that blends traditional learning with community-based experience.
In addition to certificate programs, the department offers bachelor’s, associate, and nexus degree options. All programs can be completed entirely in-class, online, or through a hybrid format.
Join a community of creative learners – budding filmmakers, broadcasters, social media influencers, and public relations professionals. Our instructors will help you every step of the way through one-on-one learning opportunities and professional mentorships.
GA Film Academy
Join Georgia's exciting $6 billion film industry working on one of the sets of the more than 250 films and TV productions shot in the State this year. As the third largest production center in the nation, Georgia boasts of a workforce with more than 100,000 people tied directly or indirectly to this growing part of the economy.
WCUG 88.5 FM is Columbus State University’s student-driven radio station. Operated through the Department of Communication under faculty direction, “Cougar Radio” offers a learning experience for students interested in all facets of radio broadcasting.
Faculty members of CSU’s Department of Communication come from diverse backgrounds and a broad range of disciplines. Instructors are active professionals in the fields of social media, digital storytelling, public relations, rhetoric, and many more.
The department encourages learning in the broadest sense. Individual mentorship, internship opportunities, and an active visiting scholars program help you understand the role of communication within a larger social context. Blending the study of traditional communication with digital technologies, our curriculum encourages you to explore ways in which new modes of discourse are changing the world.
- Faculty brings to the program academic and industry experience, and uses common industry-standard materials and approaches.
- Faculty blends principle and theory with best practices in the classroom and in professional development.
- Faculty models accountability and professionalism by upholding high standards of applied learning in and out of the classroom.
- Through an applied learning model, faculty creates interdisciplinary research opportunities which enhance student learning experiences.
- Faculty produces literature which informs teaching in the classroom, while raising the profile of the program at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Our research approach enhances our position in the learning community, while improving our understanding of adaptation in communication.